A summary of all my gardening efforts while this site was offline (Nov 2014 - Sep 2015). Another long one! Spoiler alert: Learned a lot but didn’t really have much harvest to show for it.
Filed under ‘growing things’
My very first small and very experimental hugelkultur bed. Probably sowed and planted too early, and I’m pretty sure it’ll lose a lot of volume at some point. But it was so much fun!
Moss house number 2.0: Transplantating moss patches onto the old paste. The results look fabulous so far!
Short post: My shoots aren’t pumpkin shoots. (And a sneak peak of what’s in the making.)
Not a short post, but there you are. ;-) Mushrooms, vermiculture, and pumpkin shoots!
I have one ongoing experiment that I have only mentioned in passing: growing oyster mushrooms at home, hopefully with little effort involved. After a learning experience I am now the excited owner of two bins-o-shrooms!
As I said before, after reading Gaia’s Garden (and another German permaculture book from our local library) I had this sudden urge to go permacultural right now. Urban gardening, yay!
I got a wonderful Christmas present: A copy of the second edition of Toby Hemenway’s Gaia’s Garden. I was thrilled! I just love to read inspiring books, and this certainly is one. I devoured it.
Recently I came across two one-day permaculture workshops, and of course I couldn’t resist: The first was a permaculture starter course with a focus on urban gardening on October 5, the other was a practical course about terra preta on October 19. Both took place in our local climate garden (part of the university’s climate farming research project).
The day after making the moss house number I got the ladder out again, scraped the last bits of moss from the bottom of the measuring cup, and patched a few more places on the five. The sun was shining that day, and even though this part of the wall is in shade for most of the day (ooohh this is so going to take some looking after in summer!), the moss paste was fairly dry. So I brought the paintbrush out and applied the dirt-and-buttermilk soup to the number, wetting it through (and dripping on the wall again, and cleaning it off moderately well again). The whole thing does stick well to the wall, this much I can say.